Monday, July 20, 2009

Myri10ge under SLES 10

A mysterious kernel update happened on my SLES server, maybe I was not paying enough attention when saying "yes" to "rug update". It would have gone unnoticed for a long time if I were not just reading /var/log/messages for entertainment. I'm really unhappy to have a running kernel quietly overwritten under me, even if it's somewhat my fault. The new kernel broke the 10GigE interface, which real sysadmins helped to fix when I just installed SLES 10. Here are steps to bring things back to normal:

rmmod myri10ge
lsmod | grep myr10ge
download, build and install the latest driver from Myricom
modprobe myri10ge
modinfo myri10ge
ethtool eth2


At least this time I didn't need to have /etc/sysconfig/kernel modified with MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT="myri10ge" to make it load automatically on boot.

1 comment:

Yu (Marie) Ma said...

"At least this time I didn't need to have /etc/sysconfig/kernel modified with MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT="myri10ge" to make it load automatically on boot."

Because it was already there. Doh.